Sunday, December 4, 2011

Twitter as a Writing Space

I had a twitter account before we were told to make one for this course. However, I only made one because I lost a bet. I, like many others, thought that twitter was stupid. Why? Because of the limited writing space, of course. But, as I began to tweet, I discovered that the writing limit is what gives twitter its unique charm.

Twitter is made for short snippets of information. Most tweets are silly and irrelevant, announcing what one had for dinner or when one showered that day. There are other times when a tweet holds a lot of emotion.  Tweeting, "I hate you," or "I'm glad I made that call," can have so many different meanings to the reader who doesn't know what the tweets refer to. Tweets can be powerful and meaningful, or virtually useless. It all depends on how the user chooses their words. In a limited writing space, every word counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment